How do I apply to Altoona Family Physicians?
Applications are only accepted through ERAS. Applications or application material emailed to us will not be reviewed. See How To Apply for more information.
Is there an application deadline?
We encourage applicants to apply early via ERAS to AFP, as that is when we generally review most applications. Applications will not be accepted after December 17.
When is your interview season?
Our virtual interview season will run from October to mid-January.
Will you be offering second looks this year?
Yes! We call them "The AFP Experience." We encourage applicants who have been selected to interview schedule their "AFP Experience" to help them truly appreciate what makes AFP and Altoona such great places to live and learn. Second looks can be scheduled between October and February. See Your Interview Day for more information.
Does Altoona Family Physicians participate in the couples match?
Yes, we participate in couples match. We have previously matched several couples.
International Medical Graduates (IMG) Questions
What visas are sponsored?
We sponsor H-1B and J-1 visas.
What are the requirements for an IMG to be considered for an interview?
To be considered for an interview, you must
- Complete an ERAS application in its entirety. We recommend at least three letters of recommendation. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed, and we do not accept applications via email or fax.
- Meet the requirements of the Pennsylvania State Board of Medicine to obtain a graduate training license
- Have ECFMG certification or be eligible to obtain ECFMG certification
Is there a cut-off date for graduation from medical school?
While exceptions are occasionally made, applicants who have graduated more than one to two years prior to their application will generally not be considered.
Will you accept someone who has failed the USMLE Step exams? Is there a maximum number of attempts to take it?
We require a passing score on all USMLE exams, and except in rare circumstances, someone with more than one cumulative failure across all USMLE exams will not be considered.
Do you require USMLE Step III to be completed for IMG applicants?
No. USMLE Step III is not required to be taken prior to the start of residency for any applicants. However, for all applicants who have graduated more than one year prior to their application, it can be considered beneficial to have taken and passed the USMLE Step III exam.
Do you require ECFMG certification prior to starting residency?
Yes. While the ECFMG certification process has undergone significant changes in the past two years, it remains a requirement for the Pennsylvania State Board of Medicine, for UPMC, and for certain types of visas.
- IMG applicants who have already graduated from medical school at the time of their application to our residency are required to have ECFMG certification.
- IMG applicants who are currently enrolled in their medical school at the time of their application to our residency are expected to have begun the ECFMG certification application and pathways.
Applicants cannot start a residency at UPMC Altoona Family Physicians without having obtained ECFMG certification. Please see the ECFMG website for more information.
Do you offer observerships or externships?
Unfortunately, we do not.
How will I know if I am selected for an interview?
If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted via ERAS Scheduler. Because of the volume of applications received, we cannot provide status updates on your application.