Altoona Family Physicians has been dedicated to the teaching of resident physicians with the goal of developing competent, compassionate, and ethical family physicians that are equipped to provide high quality and patient-centered care to the rural, suburban, and urban communities. We pride ourselves on the level of readiness of our graduates and their ability to function independently following graduation.
appreciate the commitment our residents have to full-spectrum family medicine and do everything they can to help residents reach their fullest potential. They work together to maintain an exceptional academic environment that allows both residents and faculty to continuously grow.
Our ideal resident
is a motivated student who wishes to practice full-spectrum family medicine in an enriching and supportive environment. Our residents are team players who are always willing to help each other out. We work hard but have a lot of fun.
is to train physicians in broad-spectrum family medicine to serve patients and communities by providing high quality, patient-centered care in any context.
Our program aims to
- Train residents in the broadest spectrum of family medicine which prepares them for practice in rural areas or smaller communities as well as other practice settings such as emergency and hospitalist medicine
- Encourage our graduating residents to practice comprehensive medicine for patients of all ages
- Alleviate our shortage of primary care physicians
- Offer individually designed areas of concentration to allow the resident to add a special focus to their education
- Obtain basic obstetrical skills and the potential to practice low-risk obstetrics
- Emphasize procedures including GYN procedures, joint injections, skin procedures, and Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
- Recruit physicians and staff from diverse backgrounds to serve our community